There are some key tasks you need to complete beforehand. By doing these things, you’ll make your business more appealing to potential buyers and increase the chances of a successful sale.
- If there are any items not included in the sale, they must be removed. This includes Grandfather William’s portrait behind the counter.
- Non-functioning equipment must be either removed or repaired.
- An operations manual must be created to show a new owner all the functions of the business and how things are done. This should include information on major customers and suppliers, samples of advertising, etc.
- Any outstanding bills must be taken care of and any legal, tax, or governmental issues must be resolved.
- Financial statements must be brought up to date and an inspection from a buyer’s accountant should be scheduled.
- Regular cash flow reports should be kept up to date in order to ensure that the business is run effectively.